7 Tips for Applying for Photographic Work
Photo by Corinne Kutz - from Unsplash
I've applied for many freelancing photography roles over the past 15 years and have received a good number of applications to work with myself and the various company's I've worked with. The quality of the applications, not surprisingly vary considerably! I wanted to suggest some tips that in my opinion would make your application stand out from the rest.
As I write this, I'm expecting that you're a professional or semi-professional photographer who is looking for work from an agency or company that commissions freelance photographers on a regular basis for a fee or day rate.
Here are things I consider that should be included in your application:
- Do your research about the team and company you are applying to, try and address the email by the name of the person who commissions the photography. I hate "To whom it may concern".
- Send a portfolio of your work (make sure it's relevant) with ideally a link to a dedicated page on your website including 20-30 portfolio standard images. Take the time to pull the together images that best showcases your work and is tailored for the role. Don't just send a link to your homepage and expect the viewer to spend time exploring where to find the relevant photos.
- What's your relevant photography experience? Who are your clients?
- Where are you based in the country and realistically how far are you willing to travel?
- What equipment do you own? - I know SO many blogs and articles say the kit doesn't matter, but it really does in certain industries
- Confirmation that you have Public Liability Insurance
- Show an understanding of the practicalities of the work they do. Is it weekend work, early starts and late finishes. Will this work fit in with your families lifestyle?
I hope this helps, good luck and don't forget to manage your expectations about the day rate!!
Keywords: Tips, applications, applying, commisions, covering letter, freelance, gigs, help, helpful, interview, jobs, photographer, photographers, professional photography, shoot, work
No comments posted.
Recent PostsMonaco F1 Circuit Spa Francorchamps F1 Circuit Apple Airpods Review Jaguar's at Goodwood in 2017 7 Tips for Applying for Photographic Work High Resolution and Exceptional Quality Photos for Free Sleeklens - Landscape Adventure Collection Photoshop Actions Review Tips for photographing a toddler Landscape Photography on the Isle of Skye Six month review as a contributor to Alamy