7 Tips for Applying for Photographic Work
Photo by Corinne Kutz - from Unsplash
I've applied for many freelancing photography roles over the past 15 years and have received a good number of applications to work with myself and the various company's I've worked with. The quality of the applications, not surprisingly vary considerably! I wanted to suggest some tips that in my opinion would make your application stand out from the rest.
As I write this, I'm expecting that you're a professional or semi-professional photographer who is looking for work from an agency or company that commissions freelance photographers on a regular basis for a fee or day rate.
Here are things I consider that should be included in your application:
- Do your research about the team and company you are applying to, try and address the email by the name of the person who commissions the photography. I hate "To whom it may concern".
- Send a portfolio of your work (make sure it's relevant) with ideally a link to a dedicated page on your website including 20-30 portfolio standard images. Take the time to pull the together images that best showcases your work and is tailored for the role. Don't just send a link to your homepage and expect the viewer to spend time exploring where to find the relevant photos.
- What's your relevant photography experience? Who are your clients?
- Where are you based in the country and realistically how far are you willing to travel?
- What equipment do you own? - I know SO many blogs and articles say the kit doesn't matter, but it really does in certain industries
- Confirmation that you have Public Liability Insurance
- Show an understanding of the practicalities of the work they do. Is it weekend work, early starts and late finishes. Will this work fit in with your families lifestyle?
I hope this helps, good luck and don't forget to manage your expectations about the day rate!!
Keywords: Tips, applications, applying, commisions, covering letter, freelance, gigs, help, helpful, interview, jobs, photographer, photographers, professional photography, shoot, work
No comments posted.
Recent PostsApple Airpods Review Jaguar's at Goodwood in 2017 7 Tips for Applying for Photographic Work High Resolution and Exceptional Quality Photos for Free Sleeklens - Landscape Adventure Collection Photoshop Actions Review Tips for photographing a toddler Landscape Photography on the Isle of Skye Six month review as a contributor to Alamy World Photo Day 2016 - Rallying in 2004 What's it like to photograph a football match? Brighton Vs Lazio - Pre Season Friendly